Traditional Learning Theories
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, please read McSweeney & Murphy (2014) Part 1: Basic Classical Conditioning (Chapters 1 through 3) and Part 3: Basic Operational Conditioning (Chapters 8 through 10), and view the required video Classical and Operant Conditioning (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
Include the following components in your initial post:
- Compare and contrast the general theories proposed by Pavlov and Skinner.
- Examine and describe the researcher’s contribution(s) to psychology theory and practice.
- Examine the major theoretical approaches proposed by the authors including any related research methods and/or assessment instruments associated with him or her.
- Evaluate any issues and cultural considerations associated with your assigned theorist.
- Analyze and describe how the American Psychological Association (APA) Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct might affect the implementation of your theorist’s personality assessments.
- Assess the types of personality measurements and research designs associated with your assigned theorist and describe how they have evolved.
In addition to the required resources for the learning theories, research a minimum of one peer-reviewed article from the Ashford University Library regarding classical or operant conditioning within the field of psychology. Your initial post should be a minimum of 500 words.
Guided Response: Review several of your colleagues’ posts and respond substantively to at least three of your peers by 11:59 p.m. on Day 7 of the week. You are encouraged to post your required replies early each week to stimulate more meaningful and interactive discourse in your discussions. Continue to monitor the discussion forum until 5:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time (MST) on Day 7 of the week and respond to anyone who replies to your initial post. Peer responses may vary in length but should be detailed and thought provoking. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses.
Consider the following in your responses:
- Were the theories complementary, or did they exist in conflict?
- Provide specific examples of divergence between the theories as described.
- Were there associated issues and/or cultural considerations your classmate did not mention that should have been included in his or her initial post?
- What ethical consideration(s) should have been included?
- How does your explanation of classical and operant conditioning differ from your peers’ explanations?
Pose questions that could encourage facilitation of the discussion. Look for peers whose posts have not yet been responded to and reply to these so that everyone has a chance to reflect and develop their knowledge more fully.